Monday, February 18, 2008

CAR CHASE part one

I had just gotten to my home in the old east side of town. In the winter, I'm never home in time to see the setting sun. But today, I basked in the gray-orange glow that played off my house and the branches of dead looking trees. The air was warm, and I drifted to spring in my mind. It was full of color and I could feel the dirt in my hands as I planted the. . . BEEP!

The phone rang. It was my boss, I need to take the film he had just finished shooting to the lab for processing. "They're on the way to the office. And could you send out that e-mail to our Las Vegas client?" he said.
"I'm not at the office. I'm at home."
"Well, you've got to go back!" He called out.
"Are they still on location?"
"Yeah, they might be. Call Dumbo."

Dumbo isn't his real name, but it's the name I gave him after a list of offensives (CLICK ON Fig. 231). A series of events make up the cake, and I was about to experience the bitter icing.

I called Dumbo. I could hear him loading the equipment as he talked via his bluetooth.

"I'll be there in six minutes." I said.
"Hurry man, I can't wait. I gotta go."
"But you're still there right?"
"Yeah," He emphasized each word. "But - I - Got - To - Go"
"I live down the street. Just wait. I've got to get the film and the mag."
"Can you take this stuff back to the office then?" He asked in a bright voice.
"No I can't. I got to do my own stuff. Besides I'd have to get my van."
"Huh. Thanks a lot." He said sarcastically.
I thought, 'You idiot, you're getting paid to do that. It's your job.' Out loud I said "I'll be there soon."
"Hurry man I got to go."He insisted.
I said. "I know. You've got to go."

I drove down the streets. I came to the light before my turn to the location, when my phone rang.
"Hello."
"Hey man where are you?" Dumbo asked.
"I'm less then 30 sec away."
"Hey I can't wait, I got to go."
"Just wait there. I'm turning the corner now."
The light had turned green I was approaching the turn.
"I already left."
"Well, turn around right now!" I insisted.
"I've got to get to the bank and cash this check."
I turned on to the street.
"What street are you on?"
"I'm on Main"
I was on Main.
"No" he said "I just turned on Elm."
I looked down the street and I did indeed see his car turning on Elm.
"Come back now! Do not leave."
"Hey! I can't. Just follow me to the bank. It's down the street."
"!@$#%@%" I thought.
He continued. "My girlfriend's in the hospital."
I have a soft spot in my heart for hospitals, as I'm sure everyone does. Last year my mom had a bicycle wreck outside my home and I found her as I went out for a walk. She was lying on the street, her hip broken. A friend of my wifes' daughter had just died of cancer, and my own son had just broken his leg. Add in my fear of needles and nearly passing out in the emergency from a kidney stone when I was 19... well, like I said, everyone has stories of hospitals.
So, I fell for it.



NEXT: Read how our hero deals out justice as the Car Chase continues.



No comments: